Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Feel Good TV

I'm back from my trip up to Cumbria to visit family (not that I told you I was going), and I come back a year older - I'm 33 years and 2 days old as I write this.

For my birthday I got (among other things) Scrubs seasons 2 and 3. This is my feel good TV. It used to be Friends but when I watch the repeats it just seems so dated and I wonder why I ever liked it.

Feel good TV is great; you find yourself alone in the house with an afternoon to spare and nothing to do, so you watch your feel good TV and have the most relaxing afternoon you can remember. Some people may reach for the computer and visit interesting (ahem) web sites, but I'd settle for Scrubs. Plus I know my wife sometimes reads this blog, so it's not like I'd admit to that here ;)

I was off work yesterday and my better half was out with the kids for the afternoon, so I had my fix. I'll be okay until the end of season 3 and then I'll have to suffer the shakes because I don't think season 4 is out yet.

Writers out there may be horrified to hear that I didn't use the afternoon to rattle off a good handful of pages, but I remember my resolution to write at my own pace and only when I feel like it (I'm determined to prove I'll write more that way).

Anyway, I'll rattle more pages off tonight as I think I'm in a writing mood. To aid in this I seem to have developed the ability to write in the living room with a 4 year old running around and the TV on. Admittedly I only manage a page in the time it would normally take me to write four or five, but one page is still better than nothing.

Later

C

6 comment(s):

Lianne said...

Happy Birthday for Sunday!

I reckon you're doing the right thing working at your own pace - I'm doing the same at the moment and I'm more productive and relaxed about the whole thing than ever. With work and kids it must be so hard for you to find the time anyway, you don't need the added stress of always thinking "must write x number of pages before sleep!"

Chris Parr (ukscriptwriter) said...

You can't be more correct.

I used to try to set myself a number of pages for the week, but when it came to Saturday night and the page count hadn't increased, I would stress. Now I just rattle a page or two off every now and then and call it progress without stress :)

Lianne said...

We've got it sussed ;-)

Sal said...

Belated Happy Birthday!

Glad I'm not the only one who does the free afternoon TV crash thing - sometimes it's just what your brain needs, although for me at the moment its "House" that dose the trick.

Hope the new approach to writing is going well

Anonymous said...

Just out of curiosity....where in Cumbria?

I live near Kirkby Stephen...


Shell

Chris Parr (ukscriptwriter) said...

Hi Shell,

The family live in Cleator and Cleator Moor, near Whitehaven where I grew up.

Nice to go back and visit, but I'm glad I moved away.

C