Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The Rom-Com Bandwagon

I have no idea why I care about this so much, but it's the one thing in the film world that winds me up:

Why does just about everything involving a man and a woman meeting, getting together (usually) falling out, and then getting back together, get the label "Rom-Com" slapped on it?

ARRRGGHHHH!

Don't get me wrong, I like a good romantic comedy, but it's so hard to find one nowadays because everything is pushed into that genre using a bulldozer. Case in point:

No Reservations
(IMDB Link)

I read the box. It's a rom-com. I can see how the set-up could be funny, so I decide to give it a go. BUT NO! IT ISN'T A ROM-COM!!!!!

There is one, just one, slightly funny moment, but that's all the comedy there is (IMHO). As a rom-com it fails miserably. You won't convince me otherwise, and I was disappointed.

Drama. What ever happened to drama? It seems you only get dramas nowadays if someone wants to win a film award. To me, no reservations was a good old romantic drama, and on that level it works. So why don't they call it what it is instead of slapping rom-com all over it?

I'll tell you why: It's all about the money! People are more likely to pay to see a rom-com rather than a romantic drama, so they mis-label it to get the cash flowing. What is happening as a result is the genre is getting diluted, and people walk away thinking a good film is actually crap because it wasn't what they expected.

For the love of God, the genre, or simply my sanity: Stop calling everything a Rom-Com! Have the guts to call it exactly what it.

Rant over. Carry on.

Chris Parr (ukscriptwriter)

5 comment(s):

Nilondoner said...

Hi, as a bit of rom-com junkie, I thought that No Reservation was a disgrace. It's the (bad) remake of a delightful sweet and tender German-Italian production called Bella Martha http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0246772/
I don't like it when Hollywood remakes good movies (of course it's about the money! What else?) it's one of my pet peeves. Anyway watch Bella Martha if you haven't already.
bye
F

Alaamah eg1 said...



شركة وايت شفط الصرف الصحى
شركة شراء الاثاث المستعمل
شركة تنظيف سجاد بالرياض
شركة تنظيف بالدمام
شركة مكافحة حشرات بجازان
شركة عزل اسطح بالرياض
شركة تنظيف بالجبيل
شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالرياض

Alaamah eg1 said...



شركة تنظيف شقق بالرياض
شركة جلى بلاط بالرياض
فنى سباك بالرياض
شركة تسليك مجارى بالرياض

Alaamah eg1 said...






شركة نقل عفش بالرياض
شركة تخزين عفش بالرياض
شركة تنظيف بالرياض
شركة تنظيف فلل بالرياض
شركة تنظيف منازل بالرياض
شركة تنظيف مجالس بالرياض
شركة تنظيف واجهات بالرياض
شركة تنظيف خزانات المياه بالرياض
شركة مكافحة حشرات بالرياض

Choo Say said...

Great post! I adore this blog.
goldenslot
บาคาร่าออนไลน์
จีคลับ