Wednesday, May 23, 2007

A "Short" Problem

One thing that has always bothered me since I've started writing is my inability to write short screenplays.

I don't know if it is because I have never been interested in writing them, or that I'm incapable of condensing a story into less than 15 pages. When I have an idea I want to explore it in detail and that usually raises concerns around the 120 page limit, so I've had no chance up to now of keeping things under 15.

Anyway, since I've started to explore filmmaking all of these little ideas for shorts have began popping into my head. I don't know why I've suddenly started to think 'short', but perhaps it is down to the effort involved in making a film. I've got a little 5 or 6 minute film on the go at the moment and you wouldn't believe how much work is involved - "I didn't deliver that line right, I'll have to film that scene again", or "My God, filming from that angle makes me look deformed, I'd better re-shoot it", and so on…

Anyway, I'm not sure exactly what my point is other than "Hey, I can now write short scripts".

Later

Chris

5 comment(s):

Mike Minzes said...

Great blog Chris. I write 15 minute scripts for a sitcom and a also write 120 page film screenplays.

It nice to meet a fellow writer. I will be back for more.

Chris Parr (ukscriptwriter) said...

I've just finished filming the first short film that I scripted, although it isn't really a *story*, it's just me having a laugh.

I hope some real shorts will be following soon. I have a few ideas, but they are very similar in concept to some other stuff I have seen (after I thought them up), so I will have to mould what I have but keep the underlying story.

Annie Wicking said...

Hi I'm just a writer who tries everything.

Good luck with your writing

Annie

Chris Parr (ukscriptwriter) said...

Welcome and thanks.

I've finally finished editing the "sort of short" I wrote the other week and will post a link soon.

thanida said...

keep up the good work and inspiring people, I am too one of them…!!! Thanks so much.
ยูฟ่าเบท