Saturday, March 29, 2008

Earth Hour

So I turned on my Macbook this morning to take a trip around the good old interwebnet, and Firefox informed me it was installing a new version and would start in a moment or two.

It did.

google.co.uk came up (I've got it set as my home page), and I was presented with a negative version of the search engine (white text on black).

"Oh Bugger!" I thought. Firefox has screwed up. Then I realised I was being a bit slow (I'm ill and it was 06:30), and Google had put it that way for a reason. On closer inspection I found the following link:

Earth Hour

Now I know tree hugging has become a bit 'main stream' nowadays, and stuff like this may be considered a little 'passé' by some, but I think it's a good idea.

If you can't be bothered to follow the link, the idea is to turn off all the lights in your house between 20:00 and 21:00 tonight in a collective bid to save energy (doesn't matter about time zones, just flick the switches wherever you are when the clock ticks 8).

Come on, join in. Don't worry about the dark, the light from your 57 inch LCD TV should provide more than enough illumination ;)

Later

C

6 comment(s):

Dan said...

Yo!

My homepage is iGoogle so I had to look a the classic page to see what you mean. Yes, black it is.

For quite a while now there's been a campaign to switch Google to black as some scientician claimed that an almost entirely white page drained power (the monitor had to work harder apparently).

Someone went and set up a black Google:

http://www.blackle.com/

It looks a lot better than Google's effort this morning.

Nice chatting with you again, sir.

Chris Parr (ukscriptwriter) said...

I stumbled across blackle a while ago.

I've heard that with modern LCD monitors, displaying black or white uses the same amount of power.

But what do I know ;

Mosher said...

Strange. Google.co.uk is black, google.fr isn't.

Chris Parr (ukscriptwriter) said...

Maybe the French save enough energy as it is :)

Piers said...

Or instead you could change just one of the light bulbs in your house for an energy efficient one.

Chris Parr (ukscriptwriter) said...

Wow!

Quite a soap box he has there, and in reality he is correct. All the bulbs in our house are of the energy saving type, except one in the kitchen, but I have to change the fitting before I can do that (it's on my list of things to do).

I think he is saying this is nothing more than a headline grabber, and whilst he uses that point to argue against the event, I would see it as a good thing. If things like this weren't given a spotlight (an energy saving spolight powered by solar energy), a lot of us wouldn't think to do anything about it.

c