Wednesday, September 29, 2004

The "What if?" Factor

I've been a lurking around various screenwriting communities on the web on and off for years now and one thing is quite clear: The chances of anything I write actually making it to the big screen are infinitely small. So why bother I hear you ask?

One reason is because I have a story to tell. I enjoy seeing a well written film at the cinema and if I can match that, even for my own satisfaction, then I will be happy.

However main reason is what I call the "what if?" factor that has been running around in the back of my head bugging the hell out of me. What if I turn out to be good at this writing lark? What if I do hit it lucky?

I would love to do this for a living, and perhaps that would open up the chance to actually make films myself (another aspect of film I would love to do).

So that is what has built up some momentum with my current writing attempt. I like my job, but I don't really want to do it until I retire.

In short, keep you fingers crossed for me, but if nothing comes from my writing, at least I can say I gave it more than just a half hearted shot.

0 comment(s):