Saturday, October 02, 2004

Lost in Translation

I've been thinking about this film for a while. I rented it on a whim the other week not really knowing what it was about. I had heard it was a comedy, but that was it, so I expected something like an Adam Sandler film (I guess).

Not getting what I expected, the film started low in my opinion, probably because I was a bit miffed that I didn't get the Adam Sandler type film (hey, we all have our tastes).

With it's slow pace I was about to give up on it and contemplated switching off. Then it occured to me that I should forget it was not what I expected and give it a chance.

What emerged was a film so fantastic that I almost missed why. It tells a simple story simply. There is no high concept hollywood here, no plot twists within plot twists. No gunfights or car chases, just a very simple story. Much of the time the story is told with the camera as there often isn't much dialogue, which leads me to the question:

Was it well written or well made?

I guess I should hunt down the script and give it a read.

0 comment(s):