Saturday, March 24, 2007

300 and stuff

Saw “300” last night and thought it was a cracking film.

It’s a no-brainer really. Everyone knows the story and how it will end, so it’s really just an opportunity to see some good blood, guts and action. One other thing I saw that I didn’t think much about on the way in was some good filmmaking. If you have time to kill I would recommend it. The only point I did find strange was that a hard-ass Greek King would yell “THIS. IS. SPARTA!” in a Scottish accent, but hey; I suppose it happens :)

Now I usually don’t go for horror films, and the ones I have seen didn’t scare me that much, but whilst waiting for 300 to start I saw a trailer for “Ghost House” (I think that was the title). Now I don’t really swear so you should take that into account when I try to describe the effect it had on me:

“It scared the fucking living daylights out of me. Shit the bed it was scary.”

If that was just the trailer I don’t know if I would survive the film. That will tell you that it will be a fantastic horror film or I’m just a big girls blouse.

No progress on the writing front this week. Back in January I said that I would write at my own pace and not bother about it if I didn’t write for weeks, but I think I need to kick myself a little. I hope to have made some progress by this time next week.

Anyway, must rush as my 5 month old is protesting at the fact she has just woken up in her cot when she fell asleep in my arms about an hour ago.

[Thud!] Back to reality :)

Later

Chris

7 comment(s):

Mosher said...

I've not even heard of 300. But given that you can have an Egyptian shout "There can be only one!" in a Scots accent then anything goes in Hollywoodland...

Now start plugging my 1000-mile walk :P

www.IWouldWalk1000Miles.me.uk

Chris Parr (ukscriptwriter) said...

I was going to wait until you had a sponsorship link up, although I haven't visited the site in about a week.

I will prepare a post.

Anonymous said...

did the CGI in 300 look phony at all? I am worried about it since the entire thing was shot to blue screen pretty well... and the Ghost House trailer, is that the one that has that split second subliminal jarring flashes through it?

Chris Parr (ukscriptwriter) said...

The CGI was fine and used well. Sometimes in films you can see that the character isn't actually there and it is all done by 'puters. Not here (as far as I'm concerned).

GHost House seems to be about a family taking over an abandoned house out in the middle of nowhere. Turns out the last family didn't abandon it; They are still there in that spooky "shit your pants" way. The theme is that kids can sense the supernatural and you see stuff this innocent little kid can see that the adults can't.

Like I say, scary shit (or I'm a big girls blouse).

Mosher said...

For great use of CGI / human compositing see "Sky Captain" and "Sin City". Both very different!

Chris Parr (ukscriptwriter) said...

Can't comment on Sin City as I haven't seen it, but the problem I had with Sky Captain was that the actors didn't seem part of the scene, they just seemed to be unnaturally superimposed onto it and stood out like a sore thumb. Maybe that was the director's intention, but it didn't work for me.

The thing I liked about 300 was that the actors seemed to be there in the CGI world and their integration was seamless. But like you said; different movies.

C

Mosher said...

And I just found out that - lke Sin City - 300 is based on a Frank Moore graphic novel with the man himself creatively involved.

Colour me a nice shade of "I have to see this film when it comes out in Oz next week".

You can add it to the list which includes TMNT (is it being called that in the UK, or TMHT?), Spidey 3 and a gazillion others *sigh*