Friday, March 02, 2007

Out with the old, in with the new.

I've canned my "Twist on the Super Hero genre" effort as I only really had two thirds of a first act, half of act two, and not much of act three.

I have decided that I am allowed only five screenwriting threads running around in my head at any one time, and have replaced it with my Rom-Com and another idea that has been built on a little story my grandfather once told me.

The story itself is a cheerful one and isn't worth a feature screenplay, in fact probably isn't enough for a short, but as a foundation for a feature it sets up the motivation for one of the main characters and will give me the type of character I've always wanted to build a screenplay around: "The passive protagonist". In a nutshell this is a World War 2, Merchant Navy story (I'll probably have to do a bit of research there).

I doubt any of my family read this but if they do the script will be called "Bacon and Eggs". With that title they should know the story I am talking about.

Five threads at once may be too much, but in reality at any one time two of those should only be at the outline stage.

4 comment(s):

Anonymous said...

I allow myself three: current spec on the main desktop, secondary spec for when I am on the laptop, and one in the notebook that I am gaining research for, hashing out stuff

Chris Parr (ukscriptwriter) said...

I found I can grind to a halt writing a single screenplay at a time.

This way, if I get stuck I'll switch to another. When I come back to it things often flow again. Just a different way to step back and see the bigger picture.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I just picked up Movie Magic Screenwriter Friday night... right place at the right time, on sale, a few drinkies and my open wallet... I came across something you can help me with I think, could you email me?

moviequill at yahoo.com

Chris Parr (ukscriptwriter) said...

email sent