Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Clerks 2

A little about me:

I don’t really swear, don’t do drugs, don’t break the law, don’t abuse people, in fact I don’t really do much apart from work, look after the family, sleep and attempt to keep up my hobby (wishing it was a career) of screenwriting.

So why do I like Kevin Smith films that much?

By all accounts I should be repulsed (or at least slightly offended) by them (I wonder if deep down I really want to be a loud mouth, abusive slacker with no prospects - Analyse that if you will!). I mean some of them aren’t really any good: Mallrats; what was that all about?

A really good example is Clerks 2. I had missed this at the cinema so I bought it off Amazon and watched it over the weekend. I really enjoyed it but when I put my writers head back on it wasn’t really that good a film.

(Spoilers)

Even though Kevin Smith’s career was founded with a film about Dante and Randal, what exists as his career today is constructed around Jay and Silent Bob (two bit part characters from the first Clerks movie). They were in Clerks 2, but as far as the story goes they had no business being there. They offered Dante and Randal some money, but that didn’t justify their existence in the film. In fact they took up valuable screen time that could have been used to fill in the gaps (I won’t go into those gaps unless prompted to do so). Perhaps this is another example of a director getting away with stuff other writers would get dropped for.

Anyway, like I said; for reasons unknown I enjoyed the film. If you have never seen a Kevin Smith film before I would avoid it. If you have then give it a go.

3 comment(s):

Anonymous said...

one of the cable channels showed his Mall Rats last night... I gave it 20 mins and had to turn it off

Chris Parr (ukscriptwriter) said...

I can understand why. It's the worst of his films in my opinion.

Chasing Amy is by far the best and stands out a mile from the rest of his work. It's one of my favorite films for all the right reasons.

Anonymous said...

i would disagree with both of you. mallrats was one of kevin smiths best movies. you have to take it for what it is. Jason lee's acting is fuckin' killer. the scrip for clerks (I, not II) was amazing if it wasent for the terrible acting it might have been an ok movie. when i watch it it just sounds like a read thru.