Sunday, February 18, 2007

Children of Men

I watched Children of Men last night, a film I had missed at the cinema.

I have to say I was really looking forward to it. The idea is fantastic, the story and its setting is new and fresh, however when it came to the end credits I couldn't help but feel a bit let down.

Like I said, the idea and its setting: Fantastic. The director had done a top notch job in showing us what a world like that would be like, and actors were also top notch.

I just found the execution of the story lacking in some way. Thinking about it I think it is just the ending that left me wanting. It seemed rushed and unfinished. I got the impression the whole movie was filmed in sequence from start to finish and when they were getting towards the end someone said:

"Aw crap! We're running out of money. We'd better think up a quick ending and film it pronto!"

This film is so close to fantastic, but still so far away.

Oh well, until the next hyped up offering.

C

4 comment(s):

Lianne said...

I just watched this today and I agree with you that it was nearly brilliant, but not quite. The first act felt a bit slow in pace and then, as you said, the ending was rushed. Not a bad way to spend a Sunday afternoon though!

Chris Parr (ukscriptwriter) said...

I can understand why it is up for the Oscars it has been nominated for, however I don't think it has that, how shall I put it: Umph, to go all the way and win anything.

Then again, I have been wrong in the past :)

Mosher said...

Hmm. Shame. I do fancy that one. Missed it here in Oz, though. Might try and pick up the DVD in Vietnam or Malaysia when I swing through.

Chris Parr (ukscriptwriter) said...

It's still worth a watch, just don't expect something on par to the hype that surrounded it.

C