Monday, October 10, 2005

Clever Writing

I watched Primary Colours for the first time yesterday and saw a simple but clever bit of writing that tied the whole story into a seamless circle. There was a character speaking O.C. over a close-up of some handshaking. The character was explaining the body language that was going on, and I missed most of what was said because I was eating a rather loud packet of crisps at the time. I watched the whole film (and enjoyed it), and at the end the new president shook the hand of the campaign head. I then thought "Ah, we've just learned the real relationship between those characters". Then "Shit, I have no idea what it is", because I missed the V.O. at the start. I had to go back and listen to it to find out.

Now, I thought that was a nice piece of writing. Given what was said a the start, the handshake at the end gave us a whole underlying subplot to the story that didn't exist up to that point. I don't know if that equates to good writing, but I really enjoyed the film even more because of that little scene at the start and that little scene at the end.

Perhaps everyone else thinks the film was crap, but it entertained me :)

0 comment(s):