Monday, September 12, 2005

Why do I do it?

Just wondering what actually got you into writing screenplays?

I was thinking about this the other day from the 'why am I bothering' point of view. If I started this for the big six figure sale then I may as well give up now. But that wasn't why. I guess at the end of the day I just want to tell a story.

If I think of the times when I am most inspired to write, they always seem to be after I have seen a good film at the cinema. I don't think the film has to be that great, but if the ending is good then I want to go home and write. I guess when I see the point in a film where all the threads come together (especially when it's a 'feel good' ending), I am inspired to go home and add that clarity to my story.

At the end of the day I think that's why a visit to the cinema has turned into what I call my 'chill thing'. Everyone should have one thing they do to really chill out and empty their mind of everything else. Mine is an early morning visit to the cinema. At my local cinema the showings usually start at 11am. If I go then I usually have the movie to myself and I forget about everything, loosing myself to the story. A problem occurs if it is a really bad movie because it really winds me up when I see on the screen things that a newbie could never get away with in a story, and then I am anything but 'chilled'. I have a soap box about bad films but I'll spare you and save that for another post.

Later

C

0 comment(s):