Tuesday, August 16, 2005

How do you see films???

I must say that nowadays when I watch films, I do so with a little bit of a writers perspective.

Has it ruined watching films for me? I don't know, but I think I can now really appreciate a well written film. I think Lost in Translation is a prime example of this. I have heard many people say that they were falling asleep watching it, but I was the total opposite. It was great to see a film that constantly moved on, but it was the actual story doing this as there wasn't much dialog in it.

On the flip side there is the film 'Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow'. I rented this last night and I have to say it was rubbish (in fact I rated it 1/5 after returning it to screenselect). It was either badly written or badly made/edited. If it was well written then most of the film must have ended up on the cutting room floor.

First of all it took me a while to get used to the human actors running around in a comic book look and feel world. Then there seemed to be so many things missing. No character back-story, big holes in act two and the twist at the end wasn't mind blowing at all (if you can call it a twist). It didn't even rate a raised eyebrow.

If it was the writing I am seeing here, then I hope I can make a living writing like that, however I think if I ever want to have a career in screenwriting I think the bar I will have to jump over will be set a million miles higher in comparison.

0 comment(s):