Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Where do your screenplays take place?

It has occurred to me as strange that my screenplays take place in the USA, with the exception of one which is 50% UK, 50% USA. As I live in the England, I find that a little strange.

I'm trying to get a handle on this and come up with a UK based screenplay, but every new idea I invent seems to be based in the USA. I don't know about the rest of you, but when I am inventing a screenplay in my head, I am imagining how it will appear on the big screen. For some reason I just don't see the UK on the big screen.

Has the British film industry suffered that much lately? I know that British films have done alright over the past few years, but every one of them seems to come sort of label like "The best British film since …....". As if that label alone will make me see it. They seem to attempt to make it trendy to want to go see the film. Anyone who knows me will tell you that if something is perceived as trendy, I will avoid it like the plague. I hate following sheep.

Perhaps the fact that with almost every film in the cinema is set outside the UK, I have been brainwashed into thinking of the big screen in that way.

I'm trying to come up with a British film I really liked. The only one I can think of is 'Shaun of the Dead'. 'Love Actually' was ok, but it just seemed like 101 short films rolled into one feature length film.

Anyway, maybe a UK based screenplay idea will pop into my head tomorrow :)

0 comment(s):