Wednesday, August 24, 2005

A lesson in common sense:

I've just received a phone call from Lydia (my wife), who was totally freaking out because the postman had just delivered a postcard. It was handmade with a tropical scene cut out of a magazine and was allegedly from our soon to be 3 year old daughter Anna-Louise. It said something like (in adult pretending to be a kid style writing):

"To Mummy and Daddy, Having a lovely time playing in the water and climbing trees. Wish you were here, Anna-Louise"

Lydia was really freaking out asking if I really did drop her off at nursery this morning (wondering if she had been taken by someone and this was their sick way of letting us know). I told her to ring the nursery and I would check with a friend to see if it was him (I knew someone who was sending postcards out to friends). I got an email back saying he knew nothing about it, so naturally I freaked out and called Lydia back.

She said all was fine. She had called the nursery and the postcard was an activity all the kids had done. They had made them and walked to the post box to post them. The nursery manager said she doubts she will do that particular activity again as every parent had called in totally freaked out and checking that their children hadn't been kidnapped.

Personally, I would have preferred the manager had used common sense and threw that idea in the bin rather than learning the hard way. Probably great fun for the kids and no harm was intended. The disappointing point is that it really paints a depressing picture of today's society when every parent instantly thinks kidnap. Oh for the days when you could go out and leave your front door unlocked.

I suppose all's well that ends well.

0 comment(s):